Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sick

Both kids have been sick the past two weeks. Last night, after dinner, Cam had a fever. This morning, nothing. It's crazy, but I'm between assignments at work now, so it's really no big deal to be home with him.

I needed to go pick up my trays this morning for my invisalign ( 'braces') so I took him with me. The orthodontist's office is within sight of my office, and he asked to go see my friends at work before we headed home.

On Tuesday, they made an announcement that about 50% of the people I work with either need to relocate by July 31st, or they will be laid off. It's 6 months notice, which all things considered, is pretty decent. But it's also sad. I'm not included in the group, but pretty much all of my friends are. Some of the people are in that difficult age group (55-60) where not many people would hire them. Others have been with the firm since high school and don't have college degrees. And others are the sole breadwinners. Due to sick kids and my work schedule, I haven't been in the office since this all happened.

And wow. It feels like the whole office is sick. It's depressing. Most people weren't even in. The ones that were seemed beaten down. It sucks. I think that Cam and his cuteness helped bring some smiles, but man. And it isn't like those of us that didn't get the notice this week are spared. I think it's just a matter of time. So I need to start figuring out what I'm going to do.

It's all scary and different and new.

No comments: