Monday, March 5, 2012

Things I want to share

I've got a list of thing that I have done or found lately that I want to share with my internet buddies.

First, a great suggestion for lice avoidance. I somehow made it through my childhood without getting lice, and I would VERY much like it it to be that way with my kids - especially after hearing one of my girlfriends struggles with getting it out of her house. I got a recommendation for Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel leave in conditioner - and we are trying it. With Maggie's curly hair, I need to use leave in conditioner every day anyway, might as well be one that does something useful.

Second, ever since the twins were born, I've been having trouble with dry scalp. SO annoying. Someone recommended Newton Labs Hair-scalp drops, saying it worked wonders for her child's cradle cap. I'm picking some up today and really hoping it works. It claims to work for adults too.

I saw the Lorax this weekend - and I declare that everyone should take their kids to this movie. Super fun.I'm even going to say that when this comes out on DVD I'm going to buy it - and I don't often say things like that.

And finally, I am sharing with you the most delicious banana bread recipe. I got this from a friend, and it's just selfish to keep it to myself, it's that good.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I usually skip this)
1/2 sour cream or yogurt (I use any kind of yogurt - even the flavored kind)
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Combine butter, sugar,eggs, vanilla, bananas, nuts, yogurt, flour, baking soda and salt - one at a time. Beat after each addition.Pour into a greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan or muffin tins. Bake the loaf for 45 minutes (I usually end up needing an hour) or 20 minutes for the muffins at 350.

I'm pissed at myself because I made it this weekend and tripled the recipe as I had that many ripe bananas... and I only doubled the eggs. The bread is 'ok' but not super duper delicious. So sad.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh the head lice... How awful it is. We just had our first case a few weeks ago and while I was clear, I think I'll be scratching my head for a while. In the meantime, I've heard adding tea tree oil to your regular shampoo also helps. As soon as I get to the health food store I'm going to give it a try. It can't hurt, right?

The worst part isn't the creepy crawlyness of it all. The worst is trying to get a kid to sit still for two hours while you pick out the nits every single freaking night. Suckity suck suck.

I do believe I'll have to give that banana bread recipe a go. Thanks!