Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Out with a bang

The block party was a huge success. As Aaron and I have done this stuff more than once, it wasn't all that bad for set up/cooking/take down. We had a bounce house, a fun ride called a Happy Wagon, the ice cream truck came, two bands, great food and everyone had a great time. But, there is a lot of stress when trying to pull big groups of people together. And drama. So much drama. I've been doing this for 3 years, and it's the last. Going forward, I'll just do a big 'hurrah for summer' party that I don't need to satisfy everyone for.

Here are some highlights:

One of our neighbors works on an Air Force base. We got this insanely large bounce house for $125. How awesome is that? It's bigger than my house.

 I arranged for the ice cream truck to make a stop. No matter the age of the kids, EVERYONE loves the ice cream truck!
 Here is the Happy Wagon. It's so hard to describe - the man who drives it is the husband of my son's preschool teacher. Such a hilarious guy. He and a friend came up with this idea, and made this 'ride' I guess you could call it? He shows up at all local events (Springfest, local daycares) and the kids LOVE it. My kids never got off.
 He cut us a deal for a shorter visit, and my mom paid for it as a summer gift to the kids. BIG hit.

It was a great day, and totally worth all the work of organzing.

1 comment:

Catwoman73 said...

I'm seriously impressed. Especially with the fact that you've done this more than once. I just finished up with a fancy theme bday party for my daughter, and wanted to kill myself by the time all the preparations were done. I'm an organized person, but I don't really enjoy the process of planning stuff for more than just my little family of three. I really admire people that can pull it off.