Anyway, the more interesting news is that the living room remodel is really moving along. Aaron and his father spent the weekend putting up the rest of the walls, so now we are totally ready for the plaster guy to come tomorrow. But more exciting for me? Our fireplace is finally functional! When we bought this house, we were told that the fireplace needed a new liner - to the tune of about $2500. For whatever reason, the previous owners had also put a wood stove INTO the fireplace, which looked strange. To top it all off? They had mounted a mantle that was too close to the firebox, and therefore was not to code. Awesome. Especially when one of my favorite things is to sit in front of a nice, crackling fire. You know what - I actually have a picture:
You like that brown shag rug? It was the very first thing we ripped out when we moved in. But we did find someone to look at the chimney, and fixing it was maybe half the cost of what we were told before. We hadn't lit a fire because we didn't have a screen or anything to be able to have a fire (and the room was filled with construction stuff). But yesterday, we went and picked out the screen for the front, and I just went with something plain. But I think it looks great.
The guys mounted it flush to the fireplace, and there are doors that stay closed with a very strong magnet. I'm hoping this is more 'child safe' version then the standard screens that just sit in front of the fireplace.
I've got a big birthday party planned for Aaron (he turns 35 on April 13th) and I used to be nervous that we'd have to have it at someone else's house. I actually think we are going to have a brand new living room to party in!