Thursday, April 25, 2013

Spring has sprung

New England. I love it. I love the seasons. All of them. But every year in March, all of us New Englanders get tricked into thinking that it should be spring, but it is never spring. NEVER. We always have at least one more snowstorm and a month of winter temperatures to deal with... but it's interspersed with a couple warm days that give a false sense of hope.

When Spring REALLY arrives, we don't trust it. I have friends that refuse to put away snow boots until May. Aaron didn't dare store the snow blower until just last weekend. This weekend, it was a glorious Sunday - and we stayed outside all day, working on the lawn, playing outside, eating lunch outside. The kids finally got to wear short sleeves last week, and it was almost the same level of excitement as they have for Christmas. Cam said 'Short sleeves! I knew it was time to wear them!'

It also starts the time when we get to ride our bikes every once in a while to pick up the kids at daycare. Maggie has gotten to big for her Co-pilot, so we got her a trail-a-bike. As she's a little shorter than Cam was at this age, she doesn't hit the pedals as easily as Cam did, so we got an attachment that makes her more secure. I was sure she would LOVE it. Well, we did our maiden voyage on Saturday, and she was not a fan.

She kept saying 'I don't like this' and 'Mama, go slower! I don't want to go fast!'. And on Sunday - the kids were driving Aaron nuts (he was trying to do yard work and everyone wanted to 'help'), I asked who wanted to go for a ride with me? Maggie almost ran away. So Cam and I went for a ride and had a blast. Yesterday, it was 70 degrees and beautiful, and Cam asked if we could ride bikes home from school - and I figured that we needed to try at some point, so I agreed. Aaron and I joked as we rode there that it was going to be a long ride home with Maggie chanting 'I don't like this, I don't like this' but she did a full 180 on the idea! She was super excited to bike home 'like a big girl' and giggled and had fun the whole way.

I'm excited that the riding season has begun, and I love it that the kids love biking so much. It is a great incentive to ride - having a little kid out of their mind excited to come with you!

No comments: