Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Alone in the morning

I'm at my house, alone, on a work morning. That never happens. But Cam woke up crying at the top of his lungs at 5 AM and Aaron got up with him. He told me to go back to bed - that he would take the kids to school. I did go back to sleep after Aaron got ready for the day (Cam was in bed with me crying/watching TV until Aaron got out of the shower)... and then about an hour later I hear Aaron stomping up the stairs. I pop out of bed because I swore I heard him say that someone threw up (thinking it was maybe Cam and that was why he woke up crying)... and open the door to see if everything it ok.

He snaps at me that it's not ok - Maggie spit up all over her pants, the dogs were eating the garbage and both kids are sick (coughing and stuffy noses).

Now I do feel badly. I honestly didn't hear him downstairs dealing with all this - I was up half the night with a wicked headache so I was grateful for another hour of sleep. If I knew what a pain in the ass everyone was being, I would have gotten up and helped. But, on the other hand - he never has had to deal with both of them in the morning with out me. And I'm used to it - but this is pretty much some version of what every morning is like for me (minus the Cameron getting up at 5 AM.)

Aaron gives Maggie a bottle before he leaves for work. So I get to sleep until usually 6:30 or 7. I get up, get dressed, get ready for the day, and by then, Cam is up. I go in, get Cam dressed and ready to go, and then we both go wake up Maggie. I then somehow get everyone downstairs. Cameron used to follow me right downstairs, but now... not so much. He starts down the stairs enough that I think he's coming, and then he turns around to get his book. Or his blanket. Or whatever. So I'm downstairs making breakfast, making lunches, and yelling "Come on CAM! Breakfast!". Eventually he will come down.

Then starts the 'helping' phase of the morning. Cam 'helps' me make his breakfast (by standing on a chair and dictating to me what to put in his smoothie. Dis! Milk! Nana!). Cam then totally makes me my coffee - here is a video I took of that:


And then I struggle to get out the door before anyone poops. Which is rarely successful.

Anyway, Aaron did take them to school, will be at his office hours later than he usually is and I know he is mad at me. But he also got a little taste of some of my mornings.

I owe you another post on the weekend. My MIL was in full form, and this time Aaron was there to see it - so that was fun. And probably 75% of the reason that he was so crabby this morning.

8 comments:

Beth Kyle said...

Mornings are crazy for a working parent, aren't they? Now that my husband is back to work and we are both getting out in the morning it always seems like everything takes twice as long as I think it will.

Janet said...

I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels like morning times are a three ring circus. Hope your day gets better!

Sparkle Mommy said...

The big picture is usually quite wonderful, it's the nitty gritty day to day stuff that makes you pull your hair out. One day at a time and tomorrow will be better.

Sukey said...

Adorable! Now just watch he doesn't start sneaking sips.

BigP's Heather said...

He is so grown up!!

Don't feel guilty that he dealt with something ONE day what you deal with every day. It is good for him.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Whenever that sort of thing happens to Matt, he tells me that it is easier when I do it. Blergh.

Carrie27 said...

When I was working full time and hubby was home instead of me for some rare reason, I would just laugh when he was stressed. Mean, maybe. Haha!

Cam rocks with coffee making! That's beyond awesome!

kate said...

it always seems like a bit of justice to me when my hubs get stuck with all the kids in full cranky chaos mode. :)

& the coffee video? soooo cute!