Friday, September 24, 2010

Just shoot me now.

I'm sitting in my living room, working from home. The workday is almost over. I get a call from daycare. She starts out by saying 'It's not an emergency, everything is fine....' and goes on to say that Maggie was crying really hard and turned blue.

I hung up the phone and was at daycare within minutes. I called Aaron and told him she was fine but turned blue - and he was on the road in minutes.

I got to daycare and the director was standing at the doorway holding my smiling, happy baby girl. She took me into her office and I just held her and cried and cried and cried. Then I could finally listen to the story. Maggie just had her diaper changed, and her primary caregiver, A, put her on the floor. She crawled her way over the door, when the other provider was loading all the kids up into the stroller to go outside. Maggie just started crying (like she hurt herself or something) so A picked her up and tried to calm her down, at which point, Maggie was crying SO hard that she wasn't breathing and her lips went blue. A gave her a little whack on the back and she recovered just fine. They checked her over and we really can't see any place that looks like she got hurt. (Has Maggie turned into such a diva that she cries when someone turns their back on her? Gad save us if that is true). Daycare at first wasn't going to call. But the way the director tells it, she let A take her outside. And then the director went outside and said she should hold Maggie. And then decided that she should call me so I could hold Maggie.

Our doc and everyone tells us that it's OK. So we breathe deeply and move forward. I'm exhausted from the stress.

I have to say that I love our daycare. They knew exactly what to do. They could have never told me it happened, because I know that kids crying really hard will sometime turn blue. And Maggie recovered right away and was obviously totally and completely fine. But they know what we've gone through, and I swear, love our kids as much as we do. Knew we would want to know and check with our doc so we could be SURE.

God damn kids. Make me love them so much it hurts.

5 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm glad everything is fine. That must have been terrifying.

Jill said...

It might be breath holding - Rowan used to do it - it started around 12 months old. She would get hurt and cry so hard she couldn't catch her breath and would pass out. Friggin frightening!!! I'll email you about it when I get home (Sunday).

BigP's Heather said...

I'm glad she is ok. I can't imagine the sheer terror as you drove to the daycare. My heart dropped to my stomach just reading it and knowing what you've been through. I can't imagine how it would feel being in your shoes. I'm just so glad she is ok!!

Carrie27 said...

Oh my word!!!! My own heart started jumping when I was reading this. Poor baby girl, and poor mommy and daddy.

Glad to hear the doc says everything is ok.

Unknown said...

So scary! I'm glad she is ok. I can't imagine your fear or panic though when getting that call. {{HUGS}}