Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Blah blah blah

Still in a funk. But I'll survive. I think it's all wrapped up in the whole stress of raising two children under 3 while working full time with everyone with differing levels of sick.

I'll get over it.

But I have a question for you all. This weekend, I'm taking the gang on my own to see my mother. Aaron is going away for a fun extended weekend with his friends. I have made several decisions - any would like the blogs input.

1. Sleeping arrangements. It's currently a pain in the ass to visit my mother because there are only 2 rooms in the cabin with doors. One has 2 twin beds and a crib, and then other has a queen. We used to put Maggie in a pack-n-play with us, and Cam in the crib. But Maggie would wake up and see us, and start her day at 4 AM. It is awful. So this time, my plan is to put Maggie in the crib, and Cam in the twin bed with bed rails. He has never slept in a 'big boy' bed, but naps just fine at daycare on a mat. Am I crazy? It's only one night. I was also thinking of doing the pack-n-play in the same room as the crib, or having Cam sleep on a toddler mattress on the floor, and a friend offered a ‘tent’ sort of thing to sleep in. I just want him to sleep in a bed – as that would make things easier for summer visits, but don’t know if I’m asking for a disaster. But I do need some sort of plan, as I also want to travel with both kids the last weekend in April – and I just don’t think Cam fits in a pack-n-play anymore.

2. The plan. Saturday, we are planning on going to a music class at 10:30, and then making the 2 hour drive to the cabin, hoping the kids nap. I was thinking of meeting my mom at this children's museum - and she suggested this museum. The Children’s Museum is closer and more geared toward younger kids - but the one mom suggested is a little further - but has more 'stuff' (like an aquarium). I'm thinking of going to the further one, hoping for a longer nap - and limiting the time spent in my mom's rather small cabin with the untrained boxer.

What do you all think? Then, I'm planning on leaving after lunchtime on Sunday, to be home to play and relax for the end of the weekend. Then Aaron is gone until Weds. So at least the kids won't say they are bored!

9 comments:

Tara said...

I say try the big bed with Cam. Maybe start talking to him about it now and try to get him excited about it? Like you said, it's only one night. Worth a shot - especially if you want to start doing it more often. You have to start somewhere.

Deborah said...

I would put the crib in the room with the pack n' play. Too many transitions, between being in a new place and being in a bed. But I don't know.

And I'd go to the farther museum, I think. Like you said, it'll get you away from the cabin. And Cam might be old enough to enjoy some of the things.

Serenity said...

Agree with the big boy bed. We did this at my grandparents' house this winter, and it worked just fine. O was thrilled to be in a big boy bed - he walked around showing it off to everyone, too. :)

Carrie27 said...

He'll be just fine in the big boy bed. My oldest was sleeping in a twin bed by 14 months with zero problems. I have two sharing a room now and I would suggest putting the baby to bed before Cam to help them go and stay asleep.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Well, Elizabeth still "fits" in a pack and play (or did at the end of February) but she did learn on that trip that she is tall enough to climb out of them.

Maybe just pack a lot of vodka?

Jen said...

He might do okay in the big boy bed...Jillian made a transition around that age. But if not is sleeping with you an option? Neither of my kids co-sleep at home but Jillian has always ended up with us the few times we've traveled.

Sukey said...

Glad to see you get to test this out before the trip end of april. I'd say try the big boy bed and then migrate to your bed if things get bad. But think both are good about their sleeping arrangements now. Then again, I don't live through it daily!

Jill said...

The big bed. Its just one night and he might just love it! C has been in a big bed since he was 1 - he started sleeping with rowan on his on volution. Works for me! Anyway, it seems weird but sometimes when we are away from home, it's the easiest time to make a change. I guess everything else is different so what's one more thing?

Heather said...

I don't know. For us, sleeping is always a crapshoot when we are traveling. Most of the time it is ok, but you never know when being in a different setting will be unsettling. I say try the big bed for Cam, but have a backup plan or two.