Friday, October 17, 2008

TGIF?

Man, has this week been crazy. Aaron is obviously a mess, so I've been trying to keep him somewhat calm, while continuing to work, and take care of a houseful of guests AND myself. I'm not sure if working was smart - because I've been somewhat useless - but my boss is on vacation, and specifically asked me if I would be working this week (even after he heard what I was dealing with). On Monday, when we talked, I didn't realize just how hard this would all be - so I didn't think it would be a big deal.

It kind of is.

I've learned a lot this week - some of it things that I wish I never had to learn. But others - like when someone dies or is sick - I know we all bring food. I've done it myself, but just because it is what I was taught to do. Turns out - that was almost the biggest help ever. Maybe it's because I'm 8 months pregnant, but the energy involved in feeding 5 people (I had my MIL, BIL, Aaron's best friend and Aaron and I here at one point) is huge. Shopping, cooking, cleaning up... having someone just drop stuff off - what a life saver. And the other things? Like friends forcing me to go with them fabric shopping, or to a pedicure or even this weekend, I'm off for the day to NY Sheep and Wool - great distractions.

Sitting in the house feeling bad for my FIL or Aaron pretty much just makes me cry - and thinking about the impact that this is all having on Aaron and his family breaks my heart. It would be so easy to just sit here in wallow in it, but again - lessons learned from all the IF shit - life goes on. You can sit and stew and get upset and rage at the world that life isn't fair.... or deal. Sure - we are still raging against the world, and yeah. Having your father have a massive stroke at 61 IS unfair. But we'll make it through. We know we will.

Obviously I wish we weren't dealing with it NOW. But you don't get to pick the timing of these things. And we have an awesome support network. So we'll make it.

6 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I am sorry that it has been so crazy around there. I am glad you are getting some support. I hope you can relax a bit this weekend.

Samantha said...

I'm glad friends have been coming through to give you emotional support and help with managing the logistics of it all.

You and Aaron take care.

bleu said...

Beautifully written. How amazing you are to turn the crap that is IF into a positive learning experience for your life right now.

Love to you all.

Chelle said...

Thank heaven for all the little Godsends in the rough moments. I hope your weekend is full of many more of them to help you get through this rought patch.

Frieda said...

I wish I was closer so I could help you out. Have fun at Rhinebeck. I really want to go one year.Hugs to you and Aaron.

Chastity said...

I'm so sorry you're going through what you guys are going through right now. Thank goodness for the support you have from friends and family.