Thursday, June 7, 2007

DIY cycle

Since I'm pretty sure that we aren't going to get approved by insurance in time for this cycle... I've been thinking that maybe this cycle I should come out of my TTC break. Not in a HUGE way - like I won't start temping again (this way madness lies), but use OPKs this month. I actually had thought that this month was going to be a total bust, as Aaron is going away on business on the 18th - 22nd. And if AF had been normal this month, he would have been gone when I normally ovulate (CD17 -18). But. This month I only had a 26 day cycle.. which puts me in the 'range' for good timing before he goes!

But I'm torn. If I push, and we DO get pregnant... we have increased odds of another ectopic. Our RE has mentioned that after one ectopic, your chances of another go from 1% to 15%. What if we succeed, only to find out it's ectopic... besides the heartbreak that would cause, it would mean ANOTHER 3 months to wait before we started up again.

Aaron and I had already discussed this, as after the ectopic, we decided to try naturally for 4 months. We decided that 85% chance of success was good. But now that we know we will be doing IVF in a month (or so) is the risk worth it? On the other hand, how awesome would it be to avoid going through IVF all together?



Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I say go for it. It would be awesome to not have to do IVF.

Ann said...

I agree. Hell, in IF, we go through all sorts of risks. Yes, you might have an ectopic. But you might not. And IVF isn't guaranteed to work, anyway.

Geohde said...

I swear I already commented here....cyberspace ate my words!

They weren't even all that bad.

Good luck with this cycle, and remember that there is always a possibility of ectopic with IVF as well, so you're not comparing no risk with some risk. If that makes sense.