If you read my comments from yesterday, my buddy Cate is a bit fired up about everything, and agrees with my assessment. This document is the 'rulebook' for my medical plan's infertility coverage. See page 5, Section 3.e.2. That is our situation. I feel strongly that we are covered under 3.e.2.d - whereas their argument is that we are under 3.e.2.c.
Aaron and I have been talking about this whole situation. Both of us are analytical types. When we first started the whole IF process, I knew a little bit about what would happen. Not too much. And my default reaction when dealing with medical people is trust. I assume they have my best interests in mind, and are the experts. I defer to them. When Aaron and I first had our treatments laid out, we started with the normal tests, and moved onto clomid. I had no idea what to expect from the first meeting, so was excited when I left, figuring we would be pregnant the next month. And the doc was very optimistic about the whole thing also.
Next month, we moved to clomid with IUI. Without question. And then when that didn't work, another month of clomid with IUI. That month I had a cyst... so we decided to take a month off before starting injectables with IUI. I needed to get an HSG for this next step. He really didn't mention how much that would HURT! This wasn't the first time he forgot to mention the 'downsides' of a treatment. He didn't really mention about the side effects of clomid either.
And then I got pregnant. And I came for the u/s. And that is when the shit hit the fan. Nothing in my uterus. I was shuttled to Boston for a 'better' u/s. Send BACK to my doc's office. I sat in the waiting room with all the babies and pregnant women for over an hour until someone realized that was a bad idea. He told me that day, that once this cleared up, I would need to go straight to IVF. Nothing about the rules we would have to follow. Nothing about the waiting time. And, misinformation about expected weight loss. Nothing about additional required testing for Aaron.
This whole IVF process has been much more harrowing than it needed to be. If we understood the expected next steps, or the issues we may have encountered, I would have been able to deal with the last month of disappoints much better. In addition, his continuous focus on my weight (which even came up on the phone when I talk to him yesterday!) when all of the tests I have undergone have rules out my weight as the issue.... I think I need to move on. He did tell me that he is submitting a protest on Friday to the insurance companies ruling. If he is somehow successful in getting me in for IVF before Oct, I'll at least go through this next cycle with him. But, I have made an appointment with a doctor at Brigham and Woman's for August 7th.
Aaron and I both feel that talking to a different doctor can't hurt. And she may have different input for us. We are certainly better educated after a year of dealing with IF -and know what questions to ask. We also know what WE need from our doctor. The group at Brigham and Woman's is large enough, that I feel like if I explain to her what we, as a couple dealing with infertility, need - and she can't provide it - maybe she could point us to another doc that can.
Might as well give success a chance to happen, right?