Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sleep. Or Lack thereof.

So. Hulk hasn't been sleeping well for the last week or so. Understandably - as he has this awful cold that makes him rather sad. Last Thursday night, we started just letting him sleep in the swing all night. He was upright, and would make it 3 - 4 hours in the swing. On Sunday night, he slept almost 8 hours straight! But in the swing.

His cold/RSV is significantly better, so last night I decided to suck it up (knowing full well he would be waking up a lot all night) and put him in the crib (we did stick a few books under his head, so he wasn't all the way flat). Well. He slept from 10 - 12. Then got up at 1, 2, 2:15, 2:45, 3 and 4:15 (at which point Aaron gave him a bottle) and then he slept again until 7:30. I did most of the 're-binking' as I like to call it - because it was Aaron's birthday - plus - I tend to need to pee anyway. Man. I hope he gets back to loving the crib!

I longingly remember this point in my pregnancy with Hulk. I would go to bed at 7 or 8... sleep until 7 or 8 in the morning... HA! Now - I can't differentiate between exhaustion from baby-tending or baby-growing! Not complaining though.

10 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Poor Hulk and poor you and Aaron. I hope Hulk feels better and all of you get back to sleeping for more then 2 hours at a time.

nancy said...

I am just now catching up!! I hope hulk is feeling better soon and YAY!!! on your pregnancy!!! woohoo!

HereWeGoAJen said...

Perhaps it is the same sleep regression that Elizabeth just finished? If so, nothing to be done except power through and remember that it will go away on its own. We put a pillow under her crib mattress to elevate her head and that helps with congestion. So does using a LOT of saline solution before bed.

I hope the sleep comes back soon!

Deborah said...

Ugh. I was so jealous of Hulk's sleep before! And it's so hard to get back on track once something like this shakes up sleep habits. You must be so tired! I hope he starts sleeping better soon.

Jen said...

I'm guessing that your new pregnancy isn't going to be marked by quite so much sleep :( All worthwhile though, I know!

Becky said...

Love the baby ticker, i was wondering how far along you were!

Cathy-Cate said...

Poor Hulk, poor CeCe and Aaron! My Maddie had RSV at 10 days old. She had to be hospitalized, but did well with a little oxygen and went home in two days. (I stayed with her.)

Gotta love that RSV nose (NOT).

Yeah, the tireds kind of suck with the second, even without RSV! You can't collapse any time you want!

Numbers are sounding great....crossing everything for you, but I have such a good long distance feeling.

emily said...

Oh, how awful it is when the little ones are sick!!! I always wish I could be sick in natalie's place when she's got something.

I'm with you though, on the nighttime trips to the bathroom. My least favorite part of being pregnant!

Christy said...

Whenever Andrew was sick we would put him in his papasan chair in the crib, and it worked like a charm. However, it doesn't work anymore because he's too big for the papasan. Raising the crib mattress on one end is also something we've tried, but he just rolls to the low end! I hope he's feeling better soon.

tarapinn said...

Hey girl, Julia has had similar congestion all week. I didn't think her sleep could get worse, but it did... I found that propping her on her side a bit (we still use those baby wedge things) helped A LOT. At least one side of her nose would drain and she could breath good enough to sleep for a little bit. Good luck!